“Breaking Free From the Shadows”
Book 1 of The Wilderness Project
Thanks for visiting the media area for Breaking Free From the Shadows. We take your time very seriously and don’t believe in wasting one second. If you’re interested in scheduling an interview please complete this form.
If you’re on a deadline, include your phone number and I will call you back quickly.
Below you’ll find an outline of this media kit. It’s been designed for easy navigation, so you can get what you need quickly. I look forward to connecting with you.
CLICK HERE for a PDF sample of Chapters from Breaking Free From the Shadows.
CLICK HERE to purchase a copy of Breaking Free From the Shadows
Outline of the [Breaking Free…] Media Area
Breaking Free From the Shadows
Book 1 of The Wilderness Project
A man’s quest for his story within “The Story“
His search for light in the darkness, identity out of contradiction, purpose out of irrelevance, and a path out of uncertainty.
God is mobilizing an army and Steve is all in. This army will consist of men who have intimate and personal experience with the weapons of the world and spiritual warfare. But something is off and holding him back. He spends a year praying, searching, and operating in faith that the Lord will, one day, reveal answers to his questions. That day has finally arrived.
Joined and guided by Shepherd, Steve is thrust into an epic story of his past and his heritage. He learns how the connection between sin and soul ties were passed down from father to son, spanning four generations, as he experiences how his little story fits into the larger story. His quest leads him to a River which opens his eyes to the nature of his wilderness. Can his history of denial, betrayal, hatred, and rejection be used as a part of God’s plan to break the chains of bondage holding men, like him, back?
The fox maneuvers, the coyote strikes, and the wolf prowls, but the rooster still crows. The lost sheep will be found.
Sample Interview Questions
Sound like a pro, even if you haven’t read the book yet.
- In 60 seconds, what is Breaking Free From the Shadows about?
- This book is based on real people and real events. Why write this like a novel rather than as non-fiction?
- The book reveals a path to finding good out of the bad…built around a man’s self discovery of his identity and purpose. Tell us more.
- Tell us about the main character Steve.
- Tell us about Shepherd.
- In the book you use animals to represent demonic forces influencing man’s behavior, you also use the idea of a Rooster as a spiritual metaphor of communication, an alarm system for God. How and why did you come up with the idea of using animals in your book?
- Very few Christian authors have blurred the lines between the spiritual and the physical realms in the way you did, a story that integrates real events as experienced through historical visions and dialogue with a character who represents the Holy Spirit that teaches, informs, comforts, and reveals the condition of Steve’s heart. First, how did you do it? But then also, why? Why create real events and programs around a fiction book?
- In the Call to Action at the end of the book, you are referring your readers to The Wilderness Project Experience website – can you expound on that? What is The Wilderness Project Experience?
- You believe that this program will help men discover their identity and their purpose when it comes to the Kingdom. How?
- Sounds like you’ve found a way to help men to discover and heal from their past heart wounds, to discover who they are and their purpose, through story telling. Do you think this process of sharing and telling stories will help everyone?
- Where do you see this book going?
Sins and soul ties passed from father to son for four generations – can be overcome!
Every man goes through a process and ALL men can attain a positive identity and a purpose in the larger story – no matter how bad it is!
The Lord will find the man wherever he is – and some will be knocked down to their knees in praise and truth!
A revelation that Jesus Christ loves you – no matter what!
It is possible for any man to break free from his shadows and find the River in the wilderness wasteland.
“Behold, I will do something new….I will even make a roadway in the wilderness, Rivers in the desert.” (Isaiah 43:19)
This book is for men….
Men who are searching for their light in the darkness, identity out of contradiction, purpose out of irrelevance, and a path out of the uncertainty.
Men who are on a quest for their story within “The Story”.
- Too many men are leaving the church. Men don’t understand where they fit in the church, much less Christianity.
- Too many men are going to church to “check the box”.
- Men have come to believe that no one can love them, not even the church. They believe they are unloveable.
- Men have come to believe that their past will never allow them to get into heaven, so why bother. They believe their past is unforgiveable.
- Some men come to Christ for the wrong reason and with the wrong motives.
- Some men are still walking around with heart wounds that have not healed. This is impeding their walk and making them feel unworthy.
Men who are questioning their theology.
- Some men believe while it is not clear to them what they believe and why they believe it.
- Some men believe they lose their masculinity when becoming a Christian.
- Men do not understand the truth about repentance; it is more than saying “I’m sorry!”
- Some men believe they will be forced to change. They don’t understand the difference between condemnation and conviction.
Men who are in the habit if “mansplaining”.
- Men who make excuses about why they don’t pray, about why they don’t read the Bible, and about why they are having a difficult time building on their relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Men say that they don’t have time to read the Bible because of work commitments and family time.
- Men seem to think that forgiveness means they will forget.
- Men believe they will be judged and criticized by the church for things they enjoy.
- Men are sick and tired of gossip within the church family.
Fact or Fiction
Breaking Free From the Shadows is a multi-dimensional book incorporating a mix of both the present and the past, as well as blurring the lines between the physical realm and the spiritual realm. It tells the story of Steve, a man living in the present, as he experiences visions from God about his past, as well as the past of his father and his grandfather. Steve also has an opportunity to see events as they transpire in both the physical realm and the spiritual realm, as he watches the battle for the man’s heart unfold across both realms simultaneously. This multi-faceted story required that I blend real world events with a conservative amount of imagination as a I wrote and described each event.
We don’t want to give away too much but Steve is a real person as are all of the people in the book, including Steve’s father and his grandfather. In order to protect the integrity of the people (characters) involved, as well as to maintain a vigilant eye on book length (it still ended up being a thicker book than originally planned), I changed the names of everyone involved and, in some chapters, combined a series of events into one singular event. Nonetheless, the results and impacts of all of the events are, and were, very real.
Breaking Free From the Shadows is written in four parts. Part 1 of the book incorporates events that occurred as far back as a hundred years ago; while there are available historical documents that support portions of the stories, these events have predominantly been passed down via word of mouth, which means there are missing details that are essential. Similarly, it is likely that some of the details are incorrect or lost due to the passage of time; therefore, some imagination was used to fill in the blanks while telling the story. In contrast, the remainder of the book beginning in Part 2 is based on Steve’s own personal experiences.
In the book, I incorporated demonic characters described as animals, while I believe it a fact that there are demonic influences operating in the world, my description of the demons was purely for dramatic license and story flow, but their purpose and characterization is fact. Also in the book, Steve is accompanied and guided by an angelic character named Shepherd. Shepherd represents the Holy Spirit who is very real and my characterization of him is factual based on my scriptural and experiential understanding.
Finally, there are many doctrinal and theological opinions about hearing God’s voice, experiencing visions, and where and how angelic and demonic influences are operating in the world. I firmly believe that we can hear God’s voice, that we can [and do] experience visions, and that angelic and demonic influences are operating in the world – this is what The Wilderness Project Experience is about. I also share several scriptures in the book to support the stated belief system. Nevertheless, I am aware that there are some who will oppose this belief and if they wish to consider this as part of the “fictionalized” portion of the book, then I accept that this is their choice.
Breaking Free From the Shadows is a very real story and is absolutely relevant for men today.
Let us know what you think…
To leave a comment or ask questions, please click on the Wilderness Project Experience image below and fill out our Contact Form. If you have not already done so, consider joining the tribe..